Years ago...long before we had cows...a swarm of bees decided to call our tree home.
It was the beginning of a new adventure for us.
We bought some minimal bee equipment and fed those bees to try to get them through the winter. We were then given a bunch of bee equipment that had been stashed in someone's barn.
That small swarm didn't survive the winter, but we bought more bees and began our bee keeping adventures.
Some years we robbed the hives, and other years, we just let the bees do their thing.
One year, Daniel was stung in the neck and developed an allergic reaction.
That should have been our sign...
But it wasn't...
We loved the honey and there is no better feeling that seeing the look on someone's face when you hand them a bottle of fresh honey from right off our farm.
We implemented some safety measures and educated everyone on how to use the EpiPen.
Daniel has been stung a few times since, but not really had a reaction, so we just kept doing what we were doing.
Until one night this past October.
I was at church for a women's meeting and Daniel texted me that he had been stung in the head three times. He didn't say he was having any problems, so I stayed at the meeting.
But then Isaac called....
He told me the squad was on the way...so I rushed home.
Daniel had used the EpiPen, but was still experiencing symptoms of an allergic reaction and his blood pressure had dropped. They ended up taking him in to the E. R. to get checked out.
He was fine....
But that was our sign!
Bees just aren't worth the risk around here.
We found a new owner and Saturday morning was moving day.
The best time to move bees is in the winter while they are all sealed up from the cold.
The first hive was lifted into the back of the truck with no problems.
Then there was the second hive. The one that had caused all of Daniel's pain.
But this hive, had to have the last word.
They went to lift the hive into the truck, but poor grips and the weight of all the honey sent the hive crashing to the ground...
On top of Daniel's foot...
But no one got stung!
The boys finished loading up all the equipment while Daniel iced his foot.
We had x-rays taken, but thankfully nothing is broken. He is bruised and sore and walking around with a very flattering boot, but he will be just fine.
While we struggled for a long time with whether or not to get rid of the bees, I think we finally found our sign.
You might also like...
Hello! I am Heather... the city girl turned mom to manure loving country boys. My husband and I both grew up in the city, but spent weekends visiting grandparents in the country. We are first generation farmers who learn best by almost always doing things the hard way. I hope you enjoy following along with our adventures down on the farm.